Rude other halves...
OK had the most amazing thing happen to me the other day....I had a couple friend of mine over for lunch on Sunday. Well it was supposed to be lunch, it ended up being coffee and biscuits because I was late back into town and didn't have time to prepare anything properly - I explained the situation to them and they were happy to come over despite the lack of food.
Now I should explain a bit of the history. The girl is a very old friend of mine from University. She's been with her (now) husband for around 6 years so I know the both of them pretty well. They are currently buying a new place in West Hampstead that needs loads of work, and because I've had a lot of work done on my place and am happy with my builders they are considering using my builders. Anyway...
They arrive, the guy subjects me to around an hour and a half's grilling on the work I've had done, did that cornice come with the flat or did they do it, how did you get them to put these floors in, did they stain them, or did you...all this kind of stuff. Now I know what it's like to buy a place and have to do it up so this grilling I didnt mind. PLUS, it is the first time they've ventured south of the river for a looooooong time and the first time they've ever been in Clapham so I knew there must be some ulterior motive ;0)
Grilling over, we go into the lounge and sit on the sofa with our drinks, we all start chatting for a bit, then the other half starts looking bored. He gets out his phone and starts texting someone. I don't mind this too much as I have a lot to catch up with from my friend and she doesn't seem too concerned, but THEN whoever he's texting calls and he sits there and has a really loud conversation with this person. And it goes on. And on...it's not just a quick 'oh sorry I have company, I'd better go, or at least leave the room!!'
I try to ignore it and carry on chatting to Julie. Then I can hear his conversation and he's basically being rude about south london (where I live) and also about having to come down and do 'house stuff' on a sunday when the mate who's calling is in the pub....
By this point I am getting a tad annoyed. This phone call ends, and then straight away someone else calls and he answers this one too and looks like he's about to settle into a long convo with this person. I politely ask Julie if she'd like to go into the kitchen and continue our chat (I really can't concentrate by now..!) so we leave. About five minutes later I hear a
'Is there any reason why I'm sitting in here by myself....?' to which I reply that 'I'm sorry, we couldn't have a conversation over his so we thought we'd relocate'
We move back into the lounge, but instead of joining in the conversation this time, he gets out his sunday papers, starts reading and then interjects our conversation with comments from whatever article he's reading....
I mean I know that Julie is my friend and he's her husband, is it just me or is the above just plain rude...? Then, thank god, he said they had to leave as they were going out in West Hampstead, and to be honest I was glad as I had had it with him by then!! But he didnt leave before commenting on the gas pipe by the stairs, and wondering if I should have got my builders to remove that too, and how about getting a curtain put up on the stairs because it's a bit darn cold down at the bottom....! Er thanks for your thoughts...matey.
The other thing is, if that was my husband I would have said something gently, like maybe he wanted to leave the room to have a phone conversation..just maybe.
Oh god I'm turning into my mother, but I did find this rude. Needless to say I won;t be inviting the both of them out again any time soon...!
Wednesday, December 06, 2006
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

2 comments:
I'm with you, I would have found this rude as well. My best friend from college also married a guy that, to put it mildly, has no social etiquette either, and I try really hard to not have our friendship be tainted by that, but reality is that she married a jerk!
Yeah I'm mentally crossing them off me christmas card list, lol/ it's not bothering me as much now, but think will steer clear of social situations where it is me plus them and concentrate on seeing her....
Post a Comment