For years I have wanted to go to this festival, I think from my dancey days (I just celebrated a far too advanced birthday for my liking), and although I've never really been into massive festivals (nope, never been to Glastonbury, not for me mud and rain and bands droning away), this one somehow appealed. I went on a roadtrip at the formative age of 21 in various deserts and amazing places from SF to LA to Vegas and lots of places in between, heard about this and have been looking for the excuse to go back.
What surprises me is I've been reading a little bit about the philosophy behind burning man, and it's quite different to your usual festival you'd experience, I'm interested to see if this is hype or reality.
No money changes hands, everything must be brought in, exchanged, and taken away again (down to the last cigarette butt).
There is a theme and art installations around that theme, and a playa (old riverbed) on which many communities gather to celebrate humanity together.
I have a friend who's been and is going back, so I figure it must be pretty special, and I wonder if it will live up to expectations.
In the meantime, check out the photo. Then imagine you're miles from anywhere in a desert with only some friends, a camp and some dust goggles to protect you from the elements.
*gulp.

No comments:
Post a Comment