Thursday, February 08, 2007

Meglamaniacs

There are people in this world that think they hold all the power. The power of jargon to confuse and baffle, the power of education to feel superior, and the power of riches to always want more and more.

I have just encountered one of the most unpleasant characters I have had the pleasure (or unpleasure) of dealing with – a solicitor in Clapham who shall remain nameless (I don’t want him to sue my sorry ass now do I). I’m putting this up here because I want to remember how he made me feel and hope that I never make anyone feel like that on purpose . The silly thing is, I instructed him to act for me, so really I only have myself to blame (note to self, do research and don’t be lazy in getting solicitors in the future).

He speaks in tomes that no one else can understand, and if he does try and put anything in laymen’s terms he succeeds in making you feel so stupid that you can’t wait to stop talking to him and go and do something else instead.

He is rude, so rude and talks down to you all the time

He sounds like a whiney little boy when he is talking about volumes of money so vast that I (who have a pretty good job) can never dream of earning the same in a day. This was when he was telling me that he won’t fax me through a letter because it takes so much of his time that he gets paid for (erm ten minutes?), who is going to pay for that? (despite the fact that he is my solicitor). He then said if I wanted the letter so much I could come in and collect it (knowing I work and so find it hard to do so).

When I faxed (bored of speaking to him) to tell him ok then I would come in the morning to collect it, he then tells me that he has decided to close the case. And if I want to pay him his outstanding £200 then I can have the whole file. (even though my neighbours already paid him £250 for me going in and signing a piece of paper..) he then almost hangs up on me, he said goodbye without letting me answer and puts the phone down.

He calls me back to tell me that I am now wasting his time too and should just let him get on with his job, which he is obviously paid very handsomely for, and he that he can’t talk to me anyway because he is with a client in the morning and besides they’ve now agreed to pay and so I shouldn’t worry my pretty little head about it (he obviously didn’t say it quite like that, but I’m pretty sure he would if he could’ve).

Now I’m having to breathe deeply and remember a few things which are these:

He thinks he is all powerful but the fact he has to tell everyone all the time and charge for every miniscule minute of his time tells me that he is actually very scared he’s worthless.

1 If you’re never generous to other people you get the worst of them, and they will never be generous back to you. And this is about everything including your learnings, intellect and time.

2 If you talk down to someone they will despise you. Intellect is the greatest gift of all and most people are intelligent enough to be generous with that.

3 When people despise you, they don’t even care enough to tell you what it is they depise about you, they will be fake until the end because you’re not worth the effort of being given the opportunity to change.

4 It all comes back to us in the end, you get what you give out.

I really hope he doesn’t get all his at once because he will fold under it.

Me bitter? Yes very! In meantime I am breathing deeply and trying to think about the above things this man has taught me, and that he will never know these things about himself (for that last reason) and rather than get angry at him or despise him I should feel sorry for him as he’s lost the ability to know how to give anything of himself away without a price.

That seems like a long rant for someone I don’t even know, but I tell you what. It made me feel better!

When was the last time you met someone who made you realise how lucky you are not to be like them?

That is all.

3 comments:

Jen said...

I'm sorry you had to go through this. We get caught up in thinking that every one has good intentions and is essentially a good person, but there are some terrible people out there. I hope he's gone now and you don't have to deal with him further.

The Sarjent said...

Yeah he got his money and now I seriously hope never to deal with him again, apart from perhaps to complain to the ombudsman about how ruuuude he was to me. Thankfully not all solicitors are like this...

Anonymous said...

This is great info to know.