Wednesday, November 04, 2009

I had a realisation today. Familiarity breeds contempt. And it would if I came back here.
I like it here at the moment because it's not familiar any more...it's familiar but not familiar because I don't live here any more.
Amsterdam is great because a lot of what I do and have done is new, and I remember all those times I sat there and looked out over the canal, or cycled over a bridge and loved it. I'd miss that if I was here.
So familiarity breeds contempt. Maybe when Amsterdam feels so familiar I will get bored of that too, but at the moment it isn't.
And yes, maybe home will become wherever I am and not one fixed place in my mind as I feel it should be.

I had an interesting conversation with willow tonight in Liverpool Street about that, about not feeling at home one place or the other, eventually. Between two worlds, but perhaps that becomes enough in itself.

No comments: