So when will I know I'm fully integrated into Dutch life? A few ways -
When you can backpedal on a bike and stop as quickly as if you were using handbrakes :(
When you can pedal no hands, and chatting on a mobile while simultaneously watching out for the trams when crossing the road.
When you don't get lost every time you try and navigate the canals drunk.
When you pronounce words like 'Spui' as 'Spow'.
When everything is just Gezellig (cosy, wonderful, like an evening out with friends)
When you say 'Lekker' a lot (that means great, it also means tasty, wonderful, all those kind of words).
When you can say, in Dutch, 'I'm sorry, I don't speak Dutch, can you speak English..?'
When you're used to the way the Dutch switch between English and Dutch to totally put us to shame.
When orange is a colour to be worn with pride (luckily I love the colour anyway!!)
When you're used to the rubbish shopping in Supermarkets, but the fab shopping in markets on a saturday morning.
When you call a canal home, instead of a road.
Monday, June 16, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment