Sunday, January 18, 2009

Flakey Friends are one of my pet hates.

I'm sat here trying hard to remember that sometimes in London people are just as flakey as they are here. It's probably to do with the weather here that makes people more likely to wimp out on plans - and the fact you have to get on your bike and cycle for twenty mins or so to see people/me if you're not living really close by.

It is wet and grey out there, and it just started raining again, but still...I am a little disappointed.

Yesterday was supposed to be going out with Monica for some drinks in the evening, and then meeting up with Jo for a media-event at the Parkhuis. Monica wimped out of the gallery/drinks because she went out the night before, had a hangover, and blatantly couldn't be bothered/didn't feel like it. I went anyway and had a fairly pleasant evening, although gallery thing was very dutch, found a nice swedish student who I talked to, and who knew how all the jewellery was made, so that was good.
Then the Parkhuis which was waaay too studenty and young, but everyone at least made it (I was waiting there for 40 mins/hour by myself though!!) , and we left and went around to Sara's house (via a cheeky felafal kebab with Dougie), which is always fun.

Today was supposed to meet up with Sandrine for coffee. We've made plans three times now and each time she has canceled. Today I suggested maybe we meet for an early bite to eat, instead of coffee and she texted back that she's feeling terrible with a hangover and can't (blatant case of not wanting to go outside methinks).

Nelleke has been really busy all week, and is now at home - she has to go to the dentist as having problems with her teeth (ok this excuse is fair enough).

I'm wondering whether to try one more person or just give up and face that it looks like an evening in by myself in front of the TV. Not too bad an option, but I will go out and take DVDs to library and pick up food so at least have done something today!!

I think flakiness is one of my pet hates, I wonder if I am ever flakey like that. I try not to be.

PS
Oh and meanwhile (I am a little irritable today it has to be said). I chatted to my upstairs neighbour about keeping it down, which was proud of myself for. Well she said she is trying to, but I don't know how (maybe the music hasn't been quite so loud/bassy?)
Yesterday night got woken up at 1am, but she piped down pretty quickly, last night I got woken up at 5am, she was literally throwing things onto the floor it sounded like, and she had a man with her who didn't take off his shoes and was laughing and walking up and down. Seriously, I am really careful to not stomp around when I am walking around here even when it's not that early in the morning. Why are some people so inconsiderate? She is totally doing my head in (it turns out she is deaf in one ear too which I guess doesn't help matters much).

Got to get out this place in the next couple of months, although I feel a lot more at home here than I did when I first got in, and now the heater is working, it's just not feeling right. I am seeing Dayan's place, Christian's place and the financial advisor this week, so maybe something will come out of that, who knows!!

1 comment:

Jen said...

Yeah, I don't like flakiness either, especially when my day's outing revolves around that one activity and people bail. It sucks.