Tuesday, February 03, 2009


Did I tell you I am living below an Irish Elephant?
She moved in about two months ago, and since that time it's rare to get a full night's sleep. This elephant is smaller than me and looks quite petit. But she marches up and down her floor (my ceiling) with the gusto of a whole battalian of soldiers. Elephant soldiers, obviously.
I went up to talk to her twice and she said she was trying to keep it down.
Her version of trying to keep it down is that she stomps past my room loudly at anything from 1am to 5am, talking loudly to any friends who have gone up there with her. Runs up and down the floor a few times, with shoes. Probably puts on music that she then keeps on all night, this kind of annoying slow jazz or something, same song lots of times it sounds like.
Then if I'm lucky she might go to bed, leaving me to listen to her beats or put my ear=plugs in. If I'm unlucky she will run up and down the floor more times, drop something on it above my head once or twice for good measure and then go to the loo.
I am trying to see the benefit of having a elephant living above my head. An elephant who has told me she is half deaf in one ear, and that might be the reason she is a bit loud - to herself she doesn't sound loud.
And of an insomniac elephant too - even if she is in later than me, which she often is by the way, not sure what this elephant gets up to in the way of evenings, but it sure isn't taking it easy, then she's still up before me in the mornings, not heard her lie in past 9.30 yet, even after having gotten in at 5.30.
Is it just me or are teeny tiny petite irish elephants enough to make you want to go out and buy a shotgun and shoot them for their ivory?
Yes!!

PS I am sat here in bed writing this now to get some of my frustration out, have my very good earplugs in, it's 5 past eleven, and I can still hear her bass. What part of trying to keep it down is that to you? Keeping it down is obv. not in this elephants vocabularly and now the other flat has fallen through (I think am secretly a bit relieved about that because it was very basic), I have to live with it for at least another couple of months. Need to get onto this flat hunt seriously. Ah maybe I do have something to be grateful for - if I wasn't living beneath an elephant, perhaps I wouldn't be bothered to find somewhere to live I can actually afford...maybe, just maybe.

No comments: