Friday, November 21, 2008

When do admit defeat and admit you're getting old....?

I realized when I was in Stockholm that my days of going to clubs, getting horrendously hammered, and pulling a random cute man are waaaay behind me. When did I last do that? Well not so long ago, actually, but the guy in question was over 30, balding, and had dodgy dress sense. Is this what we're faced with when over 30 and out? How depressing!
Now, all my friends tell me I don't look (or probably act) my age, which by the way is 32, and I don't think I stand out massively with friends I've been with who are mid-twenties). But the difference is while they are standing in the dancefloor, surrounded by a ring of admiring young men, I am dancing my socks off not looking around, not wanting to be tempted by anyone, not really wanting to pull, but at the same time a bit miffed that no one is interested in me any more. I'm not sure if it's because I look older so much than that I FEEL older and give off some kind of 'don't come near me,' air.

I think I've always been guilty of giving off a bit of this air, anyway, Mara, exactly the same age as me, is probably still surrounded by men on the dancefloor (although she now has a boyf, again!!).

Last weekend, it just did make me suddenly feel, well so old. And I guess when you feel like that, the only thing you can do is to smile, remember how it used to be, and then wink at the nearest cutest boy standing near you to see the reaction you get....! Here's to growing old disgracefully.

No comments: