Have had a lovely weekend with mum (who is sat with me here now scoffing all the cheese straws in sight, nothing changes!!), am a little tired as have been taking her around to see the sights, despite quite a few stops in parks and things in between. And am now about to go up for my writing class which will be a small but welcome break!
She arrived on friday night, and after a lovely hot chocolate and chat we went to bed. I didn't sleep so well, was on the blow up mattress but I think mum slept really well (apparently). We got up early-ish and I went for a run with Kim - finally made that, was fab! When I got back and showered we went and bought her a bike at Otto's, which was cool. She now has a small but good little mountain bike to use, and I can use it too when my friends come to stay(although it's small so probably they will end up on my bike and I'll be on that one). Then we went for a picnic and laze in Vondelpark, lovely - it was warm in the sun. Despite a huge dog\s best efforts to wet us and make us angry (!!!) we stayed there for a bit and I tried to get a little sleep, think I managed it too.
After that we cycled back and stopped for a few drinks in various cafes on the way, which was cool> We didn't get back here until around 6. Sara had her BBQ and rubix party (very fun) so we went there for some food and to hang out until about midnight. It was nice to see everyone, and meet more of the Maidenhead possie (her friend Russel and Nicky). Got back here and I was seriously flagging, still tired from the busy week before I think. We watched a little TV and then crashed, this time mum in Kat's room which is good, so wasn't also kept up snoring ;)
Sunday we had our little treat booked. I overslept past my alarm which meant `i woke up at 10.35, we were supposed to be there by 11, so I jumped in shower, hurried mum along, and we got to the massage place about 11 on the dot. Not bad. Of course we had to wait there a bit for everyone to be ready, which was not so great....but the massage with hot stones was lovely, and it went on for ages - I booked the hour one this time.
We meandered back again via some cafe's, and past a yummy pancake place where we both had choco ice-cream pancakes...YUM!
Then we came back to re-charge, over to Westerpark. We were supposed to go for a boat ride with Thijs and Isabel, but they couldn't do it in the end because Lisa and Jasper were back here, some sort of visa problems Lisa's currently having with the Netherlands. So we went out for dinner at Lust, which was expensive and crap and mum and I ended up having a bit of a row because she started talking again about being old, and I couldn't handle it and told her, then she said I was a bitch (basically). It all culminated in us talking properly about her and me and why I act the way I do sometimes. We figured out that she has always treated me like an equal because that's exactly what her mum didn't do.
And I then sometimes make her feel like her mum did (like she's not an equal). It was, after the trauma of talking about it), good to get it all out in the open I think. At least it feels like it could be a good thing now as I know how she's feeling and she knows how I'm feeling.
Then Monday we mooched around, had a long breaky here, then we went on the canal - as an alternative to getting on the other boat, which mum was keen to do. In the afternoon evening mum sat on on the Stoopje and drank rose while I tried to get some work done for my writing class in the evening. We then went out for thai when I had finished. it was a bit of a sad occassion, and I was feeling a bit tired after the days showing mum the sights, so it was a subdued meal.
It was the anniversary of my father's death that night, 10 years can you believe that? I had felt a little sad about it all week, and that also made mum's visit extra poignant.
The next day I went to work as per usual, came back to meet mum and take her to the station - gave her my card in the morning so she could go and see the church in the attic, opposite which she said she enjoyed!! It was sad to see her go, I felt all a bit emotional then too, although I am seeing her next month on her grounds (her graduation) so that will be nice.
Phew, finally finished this ultra long post!
Monday, June 01, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment