So while I am in this mood for writing, I have to write about the 'guy in the supermarket'. This is an example of how I really need to get noticing what goes on around me.
I'm browsing through the milk aisle, listening to my Ipod. This rather nice tall, maori looking guy comes and starts talking to me. He wants to know what 'skimmed milk' is in Nederlandse. I laugh, and say I had a problem knowing when I first moved here as well. I show him. We stand there for a sec, awkwardly, me with one ipod earpiece still in, then he asks me if I've finished shopping, which I haven't. I say no, and turn away and go down an aisle, he goes to the checkout.
After I did that, I realised that he was asking if I was walking to the checkout (carry on our conversation), and then stand in line (more room for conversation). And that he was obviously another lonely international type as he couldn't read the carton..
Now, he was probably in there shopping for his very beautiful wife/girlfriend, but you never know, right? I got this feeling as I was walking away, you should[ve talked to him, you really should've talked to him, what are you doing. Those instincts are usually the ones that are right.
In my defense, I'd just got back from Ibiza that morning, looked fairly rubbish, had 3 hours sleep, a plane ride and hour lugging of case back to this flat, so don't think I was at my most alert.
But, I hope that recognizing how I always do this is part-way to keeping eyes more open to flirting and meeting people, it's so much better that way than online dating and rubbish like that? Just my evening thoughts.
Thursday, October 02, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment