Sunday, October 12, 2008

yesterday was one of those rare autumnal days in Amsterdam where it feels like spring more than Autumn. It was sunny and lovely and warm! I met Elizabeth and we went up to the top of the Nemo building, where you can sit (unfortunately they have really bad coffee and tea up there!) and take in the views over Amsterdam. I will post up the pictures at some point.
We were very motivated and took our Dutch language homework up there and spent about three hours learning, practising, and writing regular verbs out. I think I learnt a lot. At least I woke up this morning repeating everything to myself in my head, so it must be more in there than it was before. Bless Elizabeth, she is even worse than me at languages I think, and beats herself up about pronounciation all the time. I, personally, think it's better to just have a go, get it wrong, and eventually through repetition you get it right. All my friends at work are constantly correcting me.
Zack (her boyfriend) came up too, he had some script work to do so he sat and did that while we went over and over things. Those two have the strangest relationship I think! They have been together for years, she is a lot older than him, and yet he is the one that wants to settle down further than she. They can't live together and so they have two apartments in the same block (very strange). If you can't actually live with someone I'd say it's pretty hard to be together with them that long as if you want kids, you'll want to live together some day. Anyway, maybe it's more about habit for them, but I don't think I'd still be together if I was one of the other of them.
It was a lovely day topped off with ice-cream from what they said was the most amazing Italian glace ice-cream place. I personally have tasted a lot better, but then I've been to Italy. It was nice to get out and about in Amsterdam on such a beautiful day.
Today is colder, but the sun just came out so it'll warm up a bit now. I have had a very lazy morning as went around to Olly's last night (my god he has an amazing apartment, and pays less than I do in rent to live here!! Go figure!!) to watch anime with Nel, Sandrine and Bas. It was a very pleasant evening, really enjoyed the first film, about a girl who time travels. The second not to my taste (robots and war and stuff), it was good to again do something a bit different. I think next weekend I may end up going out clubbing as I would really like to go and dance somewhere. Elizabeth is up for it as well, so that will be good fun - just need to find out what's on now ;)

Work has sucked this week. I think it culminated in the fact that at the end of the week we went to Look and Cayenne's office, and I realised how much more portfolio-worth their work was. Even though there aren't many ideas involved in their work, it's more about the design execution than anything else, it does look impressive. When we showed our stuff I realized that even though we did a good job with what we had from the client, in terms of what I know I'm capable of, it's quite embarrassing to be working on this stuff. I'm not quite sure what to do about that at this point, but I think it was good it brought the point home to me like that. Even though it made me feel a tad depressed and unworthy! I hope I find the energy to do something about it now...

Writing class, realise how far behind I am than everyone else. Am going to do a bit now, but am finding it hard to find the time to work on it, I have so much else going on.

Oh yeah and only other thing is in a month and a half's time I will be homeless again. Turns out Tony is not coming back in Dec but March, so Mon will be moving in here. At least I have a fair bit of notice, but it's depressing and made me feel unsettled and unsteady again. Not good!

No comments: